How to Find Cheap Flights: 5 Tips to Save BIG on Airfare!
1. Don't Believe the Cheap Flight Myths
Anyone looking to score a deal on flights has encountered their fare share of myths. When money is involved, there's no shortage of so-called 'experts' or influencers peddling bad intel. These are some of the most common myths you've likely heard - or maybe even believe - that you should put to rest if you really want to book flights for less.
'Tuesdays are the best day to find cheap flights'
We know you've heard it. Maybe you've even stayed up into the wee hours of the morning in hopes of snagging a bargain.
Don't be embarrassed, you're not alone. From friends and coworkers to supposed studies and even major publications, the myth that airlines sell their best, cheapest fares on Tuesday has cemented as a universal fact.
There's just one problem: It's wrong. Sorry, but there's no magical day when flights will be cheaper.
That old myth about flights being cheapest on a Tuesday is outdated - you can find great deals any day of the week. And big travel days like Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Travel Tuesday are more about marketing than real savings.
While it's convenient to think you'll nab a cheap flight by searching on a special day, it's just not the case. Flight prices are constantly changing. Airlines load new fares every hour, and they can add or subtract how many flights are available at a certain price at any moment. We're sorry to say that it's unpredictable when the cheapest price on the flights you want may pop up.
What's more, airlines never advertise their best fares. So if you're on the hunt for an insane mistake fare or a deeply discounted flash sale to Europe or the Caribbean, you probably won't get it by seizing on a Black Friday sale or entering an airline promo code.
Instead, jump on the best deals whenever you see them. And there's one surefire way to make sure you see all the best flight deals.
'Do flight prices go up the more you search? Are airlines tracking your searches?'
That old 'flights are cheapest on Tuesdays!' trope is just the tip of the iceberg of old myths surrounding airfare that you need to purge from your memory.
We hear this one again and again and again, so let us put it to rest.
- Do cookies increase flight prices? No - stop clearing your cookies! Airlines are not tracking your searches and increasing the price on you. So long as you're searching with Google Flights or directly with the airline, you're safe. Trust us: We search for flight deals all day, every day. If airlines were tracking our searches, we'd never find a deal.
- You don't need to worry about using an incognito browser either, for the same reasons above. It's just not a thing, but this myth has taken hold.
Bloggers and influencers pass these 'travel hacks' on like they've stumbled on some big secret. Unfortunately, they're flat-out false.
2. Be Flexible & Book Your Flights First
There's a familiar script when planning travel: Pick a spot, plan your dates, book your flights, and go. There's just one problem: That process is costing you money.
Setting your travel dates in advance before booking flights is the single costliest travel-planning mistake you can make - it can easily cost you hundreds of dollars. It's time to break the habit. And you can do it by following what we call The Flight First Rule.
Flip that script on its head and start by searching for flights, letting the price guide you to the cheapest dates possible. If you can be flexible with your travel dates, you can often score huge savings on flights by just slightly changing your tentative travel dates.
For example, Google Flights will alert you when shifting your travel dates by just a day or two can result in huge savings. If you've already booked your hotels, you may not be able to take advantage.
Lesson learned: Book your flights first! Then move on to the rest of your trip.
3. Flying Direct Can Cost More Money than Time
Say it with us again: Flexibility is key. And when you're trying to score big savings, it can go beyond shifting your dates and destinations - being flexible with your route can help you save even more.
We get it: You want to fly nonstop as much as possible. We do too. And while it may seem counter-intuitive, sometimes taking an extra stop on the way to your final destination can pay off with savings so big that it's worth it - especially if you're crossing an ocean.
Here's an example: Let's say a nonstop flight from Chicago-O'Hare (ORD) to Paris-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) will cost you $950 or more. But by opening your search up to one-stop flights, you find a fare for $430 that makes a pitstop in Reykjavik (KEF) on the way to Paris.
Yes, the savings can be that massive. Of course, it's up to you if you're willing to spend a bit more time traveling in exchange for a deal. But paying less than half the price sounds like a good tradeoff - and it's a great way to find cheaper flights.
A savvy traveler can get creative when it comes to flights and save even more on travel. Here are some of our favorite ways to think outside the box and save hundreds on flights:
- Use Google Flights to search to - and from - multiple different airports in an area. Flights into London-Heathrow (LHR) might be expensive, but look into whether you can save more by flying into London-Gatwick Airport (LGW) instead. You can search to and from multiple cities in Google Flights - here's how.
- Book open jaw or multi-city flights to cover more ground on your trips without backtracking and wasting time (and money).
- Use stopovers to see two cities for the price of one! Several airlines offer free (or very cheap) stopover programs to spend up to seven days in their home city. Take advantage and make your travel budget stretch further.
4. Travel at the Right Time
Getting a good deal on flights can all come down to timing. And in many cases, it's less about when you buy your flights and more about when you actually get on the plane. It's all about capitalizing on the cheapest times to travel.
- Flying on off-peak days like Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays is often much cheaper. Avoid busy travel days like Sundays, Mondays, and Fridays when you can.
- The shoulder season (May through June and August through September) is your best friend. Prices are often much higher during the peak summer, as well as around Christmas and New Year's Eve
- Want to shake up your Thanksgiving plans? Turkey Day is a great time to travel internationally at low prices.
- Don't wait until the last minute to book! It's a common misconception, but last-minute fares are mostly a thing of the past. Always book at least 30-45 days in advance whenever possible. For international flights, plan even farther ahead.
Speaking of when to book your flights…
5. Sign Up for Cheap Flight Notifications for Flash Sale & Mistake Fares
Most people don't have all day, every day to be searching for hidden flight deals, unadvertised flash sales, and mistake fares.n We do. And we've got you covered.
Sign up for Thrifty Traveler and you'll get some of the best flight deals, domestic and international, we find each day.
Or take it to the next level and join our flight deal notification service, Thrifty Traveler Premium and get 90% more flight deals sent straight to you. Premium members get two to three flight deal alerts a day, tailored to their home airports so they only see the flight deals they can book.
What is a Thrifty Traveler discount coupon?
At 1001couponcodes.ca we believe that getting a discount is much more fun! So we offer the best discount coupons Thrifty Traveler for free. Together we also provide special offers, links, exclusives and many promotions totally at no cost to you.
On our coupon site you can find Thrifty Traveler special offers and deals Thrifty Traveler, plus thousands of offers from the largest and best online stores in Canada and the world, we filter only the most trusted stores with good customer service. We also check out store specials and make them available to our most special readers. You can make your purchase at Thrifty Traveler and get a discount using the Thrifty Traveler discount coupons that we update daily.
We usually highlight coupons that are valid for the entire store, in percentage and then fixed value.
Our goal at 1001couponcodes.ca is to follow the whole internet and publish on this portal all the savings opportunities when it comes to buying, either in the form of discount coupons or event offers. Through discount coupons, our readers get exclusive discounts on their purchases at Thrifty Traveler and thousands of other establishments. Our site is free, here nobody pays anything to use a discount coupon!
The Thrifty Traveler discount coupon (also known as a voucher, gift certificate, discount voucher, promotional coupon, discount code, or promo code) are codes used by online stores to convince undecided customers to complete their purchase. If you enjoyed the discount offered by our coupons, we recommend that you checkout immediately as they have very limited validity.
How to use this discount coupon Thrifty Traveler?
The Thrifty Traveler coupon can appear in two ways, a code to enter in the shopping cart during checkout, or a specific link that applies an automatic promotion or redirects to a special offers page. Here's a walkthrough to understand how to use the discount coupon Thrifty Traveler:
- click on "get coupon";
- copy (ctrl c) the coupon code and click "go to store";
- Some coupons are available in link format, so be smart, because when you enter the store you should realize the discount applied to the products;
- navigate to Thrifty Traveler and choose the product you want. put it in the shopping cart, paste the coupon (ctrl v) into the field called "discount coupon" or "gift card";
- see if the discount was applied correctly. the best coupons expire soon, so we recommend finalizing your purchase.
- If you enjoyedTell everyone how you got a discount on Thrifty Traveler!
What is a Thrifty Traveler coupon code?
A coupon code from Thrifty Traveler is a alphanumeric code that you use to get the discount on your order. These Coupon Codes are also called coupon code, promotional code, discount code, promo code or voucher. Webshops from around the world use these types of codes to give discount to their customers on certain products or orders.
How can I use a Thrifty Traveler coupon code?
An action code or promotional code from Thrifty Traveler Can be used in two ways. The first way is by simply clicking on "SHOW CODE", copy the code and paste it into the shopping cart of the webshop. The other way is by clicking on 'VIEW OFFER', you will then be redirected directly to the webshop and the discount will be applied automatically.
How do you find a couponcode at 1001couponcodes.ca? First of all, look for the desired store in the search bar at the top of this page. Are you looking for a particular product or brand? Then you can type it in the search bar. You can also find your desired webshop in our "SHOPS A-Z" or "CATEGORY" overviews. If you've come to our webshop page, choose a coupon code or offer you'd like to use.
- Copy the couponcode from Thrifty Traveler by clicking at "SHOW CODE" or "VIEW OFFER"
- Does a coupon code appear? Then you can copy the code by clicking at the button "COPY"
- Does the modal not show a coupon code? Then you can click directly in the big blue button "VISIT Thrifty Traveler
- On the Thrifty Traveler website select one or more products and place it into the shopping basket. When you are finished, then have a close look at the basket. Just before the actual checkout, there is somewhere the option to enter an action code, promo code, voucher or coupon code. You paste (CTRL V) here the previously copied code and the discount is applied immediately.
- Please check if the discount has been applied correctly, as it may occur once you're just late and the coupon code has expired. It may also be that the coupon code is only valid for a particular product. In that case, you can just get a new coupon code from our website. It is therefore important that you read the terms of the coupon code.
- Successfully? Then share our Coupon Codes, promotional codes, promotional codes and offers with your friends and family, so they can also make use of additional discounts.
What are the current promo codes or offers available for Thrifty Traveler in August 2022?
Currently, promo codes and 2 deals available for Thrifty Traveler:
Save up to 90% on each flight!
Get our email for the latest in travel, flight deals, and money saving tips.
How much can I save at Thrifty Traveler?
In the last 30 days, 0 members have saved on average 90% OFF at Thrifty Traveler.
How do I use Thrifty Traveler coupons?
To use a Thrifty Traveler coupon, copy the related promo code to your clipboard and apply it while checking out. Some Thrifty Traveler coupons only apply to specific products, so make sure all the items in your cart qualify before submitting your order. If there's a brick-and-mortar store in your area, you may be able to use a printable coupon there as well.
How many Thrifty Traveler online coupons are available?
There are currently 100+ Thrifty Traveler online coupons reported by Thrifty Traveler. These deal offers are available online, including coupon codes. Today alone, users have collectively cashed in on 2 offers.
How to save money at Thrifty Traveler?
You can save money at Thrifty Traveler by using one of the current Thrifty Traveler coupons from 1001couponcodes.ca. Right now, the most you can save is 90% off.
How long do Thrifty Traveler coupons last?
The Thrifty Traveler promo codes that are currently available end when Thrifty Traveler sets the coupon expiration date. However, some Thrifty Traveler deals don't have a definite end date, so it's possible the promo code will be active until Thrifty Traveler runs out of inventory for the promotional item.
The entire content of this site is copyrighted (all rights reserved © 2022).