Introduction - Are You Following Me?
Picture the scene: you're just about to reach the top of the mountain. The golden hour lighting is absolutely sublime. As you reach the peak, you've got the framing just right to capture the dramatic sunset. But suddenly you realize you can't actually get the epic shot of yourself that you envisaged because you're too busy controlling the drone.
To overcome this, drone manufacturers have developed automation features that take out a lot of the guesswork and are making aerial photography more and more intuitive. Drones that follow you let you make the most of your adventure without the worry of crashing your beloved drone because you're too focused on where you're going. Let's move on to look at how follow me drones actually work, what the difference is between models, and which is comes out on top.
1. How Do Follow Me Drones Work?
Drones that follow you are able to autonomously track a target, without having to be piloted. Currently there are two main technologies that are used in the follow me feature, most commonly found in quadcopter drones, and they work in different ways to allow drones to track objects autonomously and accurately.
1) GPS Tech
The earliest follow me drones were programmed to follow a GPS transmitter or Ground Station Controller (GSC) that users had to wear. This created a virtual tether between the user and the drone. This GPS transmitter is usually built into the remote controller, which then becomes required for the drone to follow you.
DJI first introduced follow me drones in 2015 with the Phantom 3 series. Its vast array of Intelligent Flight Modes include Follow Me, Course Lock, Waypoints, Home Lock, and Points of Interest. As with other GPS-based drones, the Phantom 3 requires a remote controller and the DJI GO app to enable Follow Me mode.
So why use GPS tech? The tracking accuracy of GPS tech is unrivaled, providing much better precision than other techs. However, a tracker/transmitter is always required for the system to work and obstacle avoidance is not a feature.
2) Vision Recognition Tech
Detecting objects, people, and obstacles through data captured by a camera has been used in robotics since the early 2000s. Due to its high requirements on computing, battery life, and safety, the tech has only been used in drones for the last few years.
In general, the vision recognition technology works as follows:
- The drone cameras and sensors collect image and sound data, which is then transmitted to the processor.
- With sufficient data, the processor identifies the background parts of the scene and locates any moving objects.
- As programmed, the aircraft starts to automatically follow the moving object.
Thanks to recent technological advances, this whole three-step process can now be completed within a matter of seconds on the latest models.
Besides speedy response time, vision recognition also has the advantages that it is able to track all types of moving objects, including cars, bikes, people, and animals, and does not require an external GPS tracker, instead using compatible software/app on the controlling device. Recognition accuracy, however, can be affected by lighting conditions and the contrast between areas in direct light and those in shadow.
To overcome the limitations of GPS and vision recognition systems, DJI combined the two technologies into the ActiveTrack system, realizing the best of both approaches.
2. On Track With DJI's ActiveTrack
The ActiveTrack feature was first introduced with the Phantom 4 series and represents the evolution of the Follow Me mode found on previous drones, vastly improving accuracy and user experience. It allows the user to mark and track multiple moving objects on the controlling device's screen without the need of an external tracking device.
Both GPS and vision recognition are utilized in the ActiveTrack feature to locate the drone itself, stabilize its flight, and navigate between obstacles. It has been such a success that it is available on almost all new drones released by DJI. The DJI GO 4 app has been specifically introduced for use with ActiveTrack, as shown here:
3. 6 Best Drones That Follow You (With Video Tests)
Let's move on to look at the best follow me drones, how their features differ, and which is best for specific scenarios.
1)The Mavic 2
The Mavic 2 is DJI's latest consumer drone with two powerful lens options: Pro and Zoom. As one of the newest drones on the market, it has some of the most cutting-edge functions, features, and technology available. It's also portable and dependable enough to be a top choice for both enthusiasts and professionals. (Read the Mavic 2 In-depth Review)
- Max. flight time: 31 minutes
- Max. speed: 44 mph (72 kph)
- Stabilization: 3-axis gimbal
- Pro Camera: Hasselblad L1D-20c Camera with 20 MP 1-inch CMOS Sensor
- Zoom Camera: 24mm-48mm Optical Zoom Camera with a 1/2.3-inch 12 MP sensor
- Signal range: 4.9 mi (8 km)
- Min. Flight Height in ActiveTrack mode: 6 ft (2 m)
- Perfect for: Pros and enthusiasts looking for a powerful, portable drone with incredible quality and practical features.
As part of the Mavic 2's ActiveTrack mode, the following functions are incorporated:
- Trace: The aircraft tracks the subject at a constant distance. The joystick on the remote controller or the slider in DJI GO 4 are used to fly in a circle around the subject.
- Parallel (Profile): The aircraft tracks the subject at a constant angle and distance from the side. The joystick on the remote controller is used to fly in a circle around the subject.
- Spotlight: The aircraft will not track the subject automatically, but keeps the camera pointing at the subject. The remote controller is used to maneuver the aircraft, but orientation control is disabled. The left joystick and gimbal dial is used to adjust the framing of the subject.
The Mavic 2 is DJI's first consumer drone to offer Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing. That means you can enjoy worry-free flying in complex environments as the aircraft has sensors on all six sides. With a fully upgraded FlightAutonomy system, data is continually being transmitted and processed to ensure flying in tricky environments is safer than before.
The Mavic 2 also features DJI's signature Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems (APAS), which allows users to fly forward and backward with ease, avoiding obstacles in front of and behind a subject. APAS will plan an appropriate flight path to bypass these obstacles automatically in flight or ActiveTrack.
What is a DJI Store discount coupon?
At 1001couponcodes.ca we believe that getting a discount is much more fun! So we offer the best discount coupons DJI Store for free. Together we also provide special offers, links, exclusives and many promotions totally at no cost to you.
On our coupon site you can find DJI Store special offers and deals DJI Store, plus thousands of offers from the largest and best online stores in Canada and the world, we filter only the most trusted stores with good customer service. We also check out store specials and make them available to our most special readers. You can make your purchase at DJI Store and get a discount using the DJI Store discount coupons that we update daily.
We usually highlight coupons that are valid for the entire store, in percentage and then fixed value.
Our goal at 1001couponcodes.ca is to follow the whole internet and publish on this portal all the savings opportunities when it comes to buying, either in the form of discount coupons or event offers. Through discount coupons, our readers get exclusive discounts on their purchases at DJI Store and thousands of other establishments. Our site is free, here nobody pays anything to use a discount coupon!
The DJI Store discount coupon (also known as a voucher, gift certificate, discount voucher, promotional coupon, discount code, or promo code) are codes used by online stores to convince undecided customers to complete their purchase. If you enjoyed the discount offered by our coupons, we recommend that you checkout immediately as they have very limited validity.
How to use this discount coupon DJI Store?
The DJI Store coupon can appear in two ways, a code to enter in the shopping cart during checkout, or a specific link that applies an automatic promotion or redirects to a special offers page. Here's a walkthrough to understand how to use the discount coupon DJI Store:
- click on "get coupon";
- copy (ctrl c) the coupon code and click "go to store";
- Some coupons are available in link format, so be smart, because when you enter the store you should realize the discount applied to the products;
- navigate to DJI Store and choose the product you want. put it in the shopping cart, paste the coupon (ctrl v) into the field called "discount coupon" or "gift card";
- see if the discount was applied correctly. the best coupons expire soon, so we recommend finalizing your purchase.
- If you enjoyedTell everyone how you got a discount on DJI Store!
What is a DJI Store coupon code?
A coupon code from DJI Store is a alphanumeric code that you use to get the discount on your order. These Coupon Codes are also called coupon code, promotional code, discount code, promo code or voucher. Webshops from around the world use these types of codes to give discount to their customers on certain products or orders.
How can I use a DJI Store coupon code?
An action code or promotional code from DJI Store Can be used in two ways. The first way is by simply clicking on "SHOW CODE", copy the code and paste it into the shopping cart of the webshop. The other way is by clicking on 'VIEW OFFER', you will then be redirected directly to the webshop and the discount will be applied automatically.
How do you find a couponcode at 1001couponcodes.ca? First of all, look for the desired store in the search bar at the top of this page. Are you looking for a particular product or brand? Then you can type it in the search bar. You can also find your desired webshop in our "SHOPS A-Z" or "CATEGORY" overviews. If you've come to our webshop page, choose a coupon code or offer you'd like to use.
- Copy the couponcode from DJI Store by clicking at "SHOW CODE" or "VIEW OFFER"
- Does a coupon code appear? Then you can copy the code by clicking at the button "COPY"
- Does the modal not show a coupon code? Then you can click directly in the big blue button "VISIT DJI Store
- On the DJI Store website select one or more products and place it into the shopping basket. When you are finished, then have a close look at the basket. Just before the actual checkout, there is somewhere the option to enter an action code, promo code, voucher or coupon code. You paste (CTRL V) here the previously copied code and the discount is applied immediately.
- Please check if the discount has been applied correctly, as it may occur once you're just late and the coupon code has expired. It may also be that the coupon code is only valid for a particular product. In that case, you can just get a new coupon code from our website. It is therefore important that you read the terms of the coupon code.
- Successfully? Then share our Coupon Codes, promotional codes, promotional codes and offers with your friends and family, so they can also make use of additional discounts.
What are the current promo codes or offers available for DJI Store in August 2022?
Currently, promo codes and 1 deals available for DJI Store:
Discover the many offers and discount coupons ready for you at DJI Store
How much can I save at DJI Store?
In the last 30 days, 0 members have saved on average OFF at DJI Store.
How do I use DJI Store coupons?
To use a DJI Store coupon, copy the related promo code to your clipboard and apply it while checking out. Some DJI Store coupons only apply to specific products, so make sure all the items in your cart qualify before submitting your order. If there's a brick-and-mortar store in your area, you may be able to use a printable coupon there as well.
How many DJI Store online coupons are available?
There are currently 100+ DJI Store online coupons reported by DJI Store. These deal offers are available online, including coupon codes. Today alone, users have collectively cashed in on 1 offers.
How to save money at DJI Store?
You can save money at DJI Store by using one of the current DJI Store coupons from 1001couponcodes.ca. Right now, the most you can save is off.
How long do DJI Store coupons last?
The DJI Store promo codes that are currently available end when DJI Store sets the coupon expiration date. However, some DJI Store deals don't have a definite end date, so it's possible the promo code will be active until DJI Store runs out of inventory for the promotional item.
The entire content of this site is copyrighted (all rights reserved © 2022).